I am a first time mom who delivered 6 months ago and my pregnancy and delivery experience has been overwhelming,stressful,tiring,interesting and sweet!
The moment I found out that I was expecting, I started feeling sick and nauseous but because I have so many mum friends and colleagues who can talk about motherhood everyday non- stop, I was able to quickly associate my feeling sick and nauseous with pregnancy so I detected my pregnancy at an early stage.
After I had my baby, I sat down to reflect on the whole preggy moment and realised with all the experience and pregnancy stories I have heard, nothing still prepares you mentally for the preggy moments, with pregnancy comes different emotions and to each mum are own pregnancy story.
- I wish I had not compared note with other pregnant mums because I gave myself unnecessary headache not realizing every pregnancy is different.
- I wish I had rested more rather than the turbo charged super woman act I displayed throughout because right now it’s all about my little lad and little time for me.
- I wish I had given my hubby more attention, I never realized that it would even decrease now that we have a baby.
- I wish I had not bought every single baby item I googled , the baby cot is just there unused because we are co-sleeping and I can already feel it’s going to be a long term relationship.
- I wish I had packed my bag earlier, I never knew my baby was going to come early (at 36wks) so we had to just pack the needed and the un-needed.
- I wish I had bought more diapers, wipes and onesies because they are more important than the toys, you can always get those later.
- I wish I had known that stressing yourself can cause preterm labor.
- I wish I had known that it’s possible to go into labor without knowing it.
- I wish I had known that with C-section, It’s possible for you not to lactate within the first 3 days of delivery.
- I wish I had known that nothing prepares you for that delivery room….. Nothing at all. And this is where i salute my mum for having 7 pregnancies and 6 of us…… How did you do it ?
All this is based on my own personal experience but like the saying goes….. Different strokes for different folks……… Now I know better and can be more prepared when I am ready for a second baby which is not any time soon.
Do you have any thoughts? Are yours different? We will like to hear, as you comment below.