Heartbroken mum shares how her newborn was stillborn after she was poisoned in the womb by a rare liver condition.
**Warning: Contains images some may find distressing.**
Gabriella Morley, 24, from UK, was 39 weeks pregnant when she noticed her baby was not moving.
Doctors told the mother-to-be and her boyfriend Matthew Dalton, 25, that their baby had died after being poisoned by high acidity levels in her mother’s body caused by the rare pregnancy-related condition, intrahepatic cholestasis (ICP).
The grieving mother gave birth to her newborn daughter, Poppy, on May 9 and the couple spent three days with their little girl in a hospital cold room before laying her to rest.
Now Gabriella and Matthew have shared photographs of Poppy in a bid to raise awareness about ICP, shares Daily Mail.
‘It is a rare condition but I think more mums need to know about it,’ Gabriella said. ‘I don’t want anyone to ever have to go through what we did.
‘Losing Poppy has been the most devastating thing ever. No mother should have to experience what it is like to go through nine months of pregnancy and leave hospital with no baby. But it does happen and people need to talk about it more.’
Gabriella explains, ‘Giving birth was the saddest thing I have ever gone through. She was born to the song Pachelbel’s Canon in D which is just the most beautiful and emotional piece of music.’
‘I remember Matty looking up and saying “it’s a girl” and the sound I made was just awful, I have never heard anything like it. It was the most horrible surprise ever. We had always wanted a girl.’
‘They laid her on me but I couldn’t even look at her. I just couldn’t understand how the baby I had grown inside me for nine months was here but she wasn’t moving or crying. There was just silence.’
Throughout her pregnancy Gabriella experienced an itchiness on her baby bump that she put down to a typical side-effect of stretched skin.
But the itchiness was actually a symptom of ICP which hinders the flow of bile acids, which are toxic to foetuses, from the liver to the gut.
Gabriella is now sharing her story to raise awareness of the illness that killed Poppy and to encourage more mums to speak about the tragic loss of their babies.
What is it?
Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy is a rare liver condition which causes an itchy skin. There is no rash but the skin may show scratch marks (excoriations) or become yellow (jaundiced). This condition typically develops late in pregnancy and resolves within days after the baby is born. Closer monitoring of the pregnancy is recommended as this condition can have serious effects on the unborn baby.
I am a Mom of 2 boys and would like to share my labour experience with my second baby.
My mother is my support system, she has been staying with us since I reached my 27th week. Her cooking is the only food I can tolerate, not even mine. With this pregnancy, I was super lazy, and my smell hormones was at its peak. Each week dragged like it was a year.
First-time mother Thi Nguyen, has been left crippled with pain after giving birth to her son via a c-section at Fairfield Hospital in Sydney’s west.
The hospital has launched a major investigation after she had a needle left inside her uterus after a c-section, in what the hospital says was not an isolated incident.
Ms Nguyen and her partner have exclusively told a news outlet that they were “outraged” at their treatment from doctors after being left in the dark when she required a second surgery to retrieve the needle.
“I had friends come and visit the baby, so I was just waiting for her until I went up to the reception and asked for her,” Steven Nguyen said. her c-section had gone wrong.
Mr Nguyen claims he was told to wait in another room, learning hours later his partner had been returned to theatre.
While the couple received an apology from the specialist who retrieved the metal object, they claim they have not heard from the doctors and nursing staff who performed the initial surgery.
Fairfield Hospital’s Chief Executive and Director of Medical Services Amanda Larkin admitted to 9NEWS that it wasn’t an isolated incident.
The incident was caused by a product fault in the suture needle.
A similar incident occurred just the next day at the same hospital, although the needle was retrieved before requiring a second procedure.
“We were then made aware that potentially there was an issue with the product. That’s when we took it off the shelves,” she said.
“It could happen at any particular time to any particular surgeon – even the most experienced surgeon,” Dr Harry Doan, Director of Medical Services at Fairfield Hospital said.
The piece of equipment has been taken off the shelves at Fairfield Hospital and across the local health district.
We hope she makes a full recovery!
culled from here